Adafruit Feather Fona HTTPS request

Hi all,

I am using an Adafruit Feather Fona for a small project. It has a SIM800H module on it. I am trying to make a GET request to an HTTPS server to get some data. With other SIM800 modules I have had no problem activating the SSL with ‘AT+HTTPSSL=1’ but this module doesn’t seem to support it. In the SSL application note it says this module supports SSL.

I have come across a forum saying that I may need to update the firmware on the SIM800 module, has anyone tried doing this on the Feather Fona before? Without access to UART lines directly, I can’t seem to do it.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? My only other option may be to run a script on my own server to retrieve the data and forward it to an unsecured port but this doesn’t seem very sensible or safe.

Help is greatly appreciated
Jordan

Hi,
The firmware update methods are quite simple, (I have videos on it on my channel). But if you don’t have access to the modules UART or USB lines then you are out of luck. If you are using some package with exposed pins then you can always wire them to a USB or UART connector. But here SIM800H doesnt have exposed pins. Check if you board draws them out somewhere on a connector a test points.

Hi Ravi,
Thanks for the info. Do you think it would be possible to load a serial passthrough program and pretend the UART is the SIM800 UART? Or would that not be quick enough?
I don’t think there are any test points for the rx and tx points unfortunately
Thanks