SIM900: 408 Error with AT+CIPGSMLOC using Ting

gsm
sim900
gps

Hello,

I am using a Sim900 module with an Arduino Nano and a Ting 2G sim card. I’m trying to get the cell tower location using the SIM900. Everything works fine until I type AT+CIPGSMLOC=1,1. I get a long pause and then a 408 error which means my requests timed out. I set the APN to wholesale with no username or password, based on Ting’s suggestion. I also use this module to send and receive messages without a problem. So I’m pretty sure I’m just not setting the APN correctly or I’m missing something basic. I’ll attach my commands that I use below and the response that is sent back. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

at+cgatt=1
OK

at+sapbr=3,1,“contype”,“gprs”
OK

at+sapbr=3,1,“apn”,“wholesale”
OK

at+sapbr=0,1
OK

at+sapbr=1,1
OK

at+sapbr=2,1
+SAPBR: 1,1,“2*...*”
OK

at+cipgsmloc=1,1
+CIPGSMLOC: 408
OK

You could try doing a TCP request or HTTP request first to make sure you are connected to internet. Also these cell location features depend on the network. Make sure the TING supports Cell ID feature on 2G network.

Thank you Ravi! I was connected to the internet. It turns out I didn’t have data activated for my Ting sim. I just had to go to the ting website and turn it on. I hope this saves someone hours of debugging.

Thats good to hear :slight_smile: